1. Shortest Place Name
2. Largest City in the World (surface area)
|China with Inner Mongolia highlighted in orange and Hulunbuir city highlighted in red
The largest city in the world – based on surface area, is Hulunbuir, Inner Mongolia (China) which is 263 953 km sq (102 000 sq mi).
3. Countries Completely Surrounded by One Other Country
|Lesotho photo source|
4. The Second Longest Geographical Name
5. The Coldest and Warmest Sea
|Persian Gulf photo source|
6. World’s Oldest Constitutional Republic
|San Marino photo source|
7. The Deepest Hole Ever Drilled by Man
The deepest hole ever drilled by man is the Kola Superdeep Borehole, in Russia. It reached a depth of 12,261 meters (about 40,226 feet or 7.62 miles). It was drilled for scientific research and gave up some unexpected discoveries, one of which was a huge deposit of hydrogen – so massive that the mud coming from the hole was “boiling” with it.
8. Farthest Point From Earth’s Center & Lowest Place on Earth Crust
|Mt. Chimborazo photo source|
The Mariana Trench is the deepest part of the world’s oceans, and the lowest elevation of the surface of the Earth’s crust. It is currently estimated to be up to 10,971 m (35,994 ft) deep. It is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands.
9. Longest Mountain Chain on Earth
The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is the Longest mountain chain on earth (at 40 000 kilometers or 25 000 miles ). It is located along the middle of the Atlantic. Iceland is the only part of this chain that is above water. The Andes form the longest exposed mountain range at 7 000 kilometers (4 350 miles).
10. Vowel-Only Geographic Locations
|Mt. Circeo photo source|
Mount Circeo on Cape Circaeum on the western coast of Italy was once called Aeaea (5 vowels in a row with no consonants). It was believed in mythology to be the home of the witch Circe. Two other vowel-only geographic locations are the town of Aiea in Hawaii, andEiao – one of the Marquise Islands.
11. The Most Northern, Eastern and Western State in All of America
Alaska is the most Northern, Eastern and Western state in all of America. It is the only state that enters the “Eastern Hemisphere” making it also the most eastern lying and western lying state.
12. Sea Without Coasts
13. Lake in an Ancient Meteorite Impact Crater
14. Unusual River Flow
|River Nile photo source|
15. No Land at the North Pole