There is nothing quite as disabling as pain. Whether acute or chronic, when pain reaches a certain level, sufferers might find themselves wanting to spend the entire day in bed. Pain can cause negative effects on productivity and canreduce a person’s quality of life. Today, nearly 100 million Americans report feeling some sort of recurring or chronic pain due to unknown causes. Two-thirds of these people claim that their pain has caused significant negative effects on their overall happiness.
Pain is experienced differently by different people, so it can be assumed that treatment and management won’t be the same throughout all cases. There are some things you should know before you dive into a pain treatment agreement. By taking note of these must-know bits of information, you can find the right management and services for your specific needs.
More about Pain Management
The main goal of pain management is to resolve the underlying cause of pain. If in case a cause can’t be pinpointed, then the objective shifts from eliminating the cause to managing the symptoms. The majority of people believe that pain is purely a physical experience, but the truth is that it actually involves both the mind and the emotions as well. That said, it is ideal to ensure that a pain management treatment program doesn’t only focus on the physical manifestation of pain, but also on the potential mental and emotional factors that could be exacerbating the situation.
Common Treatment for Pain
- Medication – Probably the most common among all pain treatment methods would be medication. Depending on the nature, causes, and type of pain, doctors can prescribe a different number or combination of pain management medications. As a patient, it’s never advisable to self-medicate. Making decisions based on rudimentary knowledge and internet research can cause a great deal of complications and problems in the long run. Make sure you consult your doctor for your medication and alternative treatment that might be applicable to your condition. Many prescription painkillers contain codeine, an opioid medication that can cause addiction. All painkillers have the risk of abuse, so it is vitally important that you only take them under professional guidance. If you choose to buy painkillers online you must be certain that you are dealing with a licensed pharmacy and doctors.
- Therapy – Physical and Occupational Therapy services can significantly reduce pain. Depending on your condition, your doctor might recommend that you seek the expertise of physical and occupational therapists. These professionals are trained in the field of alleviating pain and could help you discover alternative methods to reduce the pain you feel on a daily basis. Physical therapists work by focusing on body parts, putting the involved parts of your body through exercises and activities that could help relieve pain. Occupational therapists on the other hand can help identify pain-causing activities that you perform on a daily basis. They can then suggest other methods you can practice in order to minimize the likelihood of making pain worse and increase your ability to participate in day-to-day tasks.
- Other Alternatives – Because pain can also be the symptom of mental or emotional distress, it’s ideal to seek out alternative management options to target these potential causes. Activities like relaxation techniques and meditation could help address non-physical causes of stress. You can also opt for alternatives like massage, heat and cold therapy, and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) management to relieve the pain you feel. But as with any other management you intend to undertake, it is vital that you first seek the approval and consent of your doctor or physician. This way you can be sure that you’re not getting yourself into a potentially harmful situation that might make your condition worse.
Everyone goes through pain, but with the right knowledge and mind-set you can resolve your pain problems and return to your normal level of functioning.
Do you like to read about science, technology, psychology, personal development or health? There is a new social network called Aweditoria that is purely based on interests. You can follow topics there and see the best small stories, ideas and concepts in those fields.Click here to try it out, it’s free and only takes few seconds to join. You can also follow Myscienceacademy.org on Aweditoria!
THIS ARTICLE IS OFFERED UNDER CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE. IT’S OKAY TO REPUBLISH IT ANYWHERE AS LONG AS ATTRIBUTION BIO IS INCLUDED AND ALL LINKS REMAIN INTACT.
We are talking about the herb, plantain; that is quite often mistaken as a weed. You would have seen in your yard and ignored it.
You might have even gone to the extent of eliminating it from your garden.However, there is an astonishing truth behind this little weed. It is, in fact, a herb that is native to Asia and Europe.
There are two variants of Plantain – Broadleaf and Lance. The leaves of this herb are edible, and you can use it in your salads or cook it. It is normally seen growing in the rocky, poor soil alongside the dandelions. Hailed once as the“White Man’s Foot”, the goodness and medicinal values of plantains are being unrevealed now.
It had once been the on-the-go solution for the hikers, who were highly susceptible to mosquito bites. This astringent nature of this herb enables it tosuck away the toxins from human body. Crush the leaves and just place it as a poultice atop the site of the bites or bee stings for immediate relief. You can also use it as a natural cure for rashes, acne, slivers, and glass splinters. Once you apply the poultice, cover the area with a clean and soft cotton cloth and leave on four to twelve hours for the healing to take place.
You can easily incorporate these weeds in your DIY natural emergency kits to prepare the insect repellent balms. You can also use it as an ingredient in your homemade skin wash. It is also an effective solution for hemorrhoids.
The leaves and seeds of Plantain have a positive impact on the human digestive system. It has a soothing and healing effect, especially for those whose digestive system is affected by the prolonged use of anti-inflammatory, analgesic, or antibiotics drugs. Plantain is also beneficial for those who have Celiac disease or food allergies.
While leaves can be used in the form of tea or prepared into soup, seeds are either used in ground or soaked form. The ground seeds of this astonishing herb bulk up the absorbable fiber, mucilage. Consuming this before meals is known to aid in weight loss.
Plantain is a good source of silica and is a gentle natural expectorant. These properties make it an ideal natural formula for colds, coughs, and lung disorders. The natural diuretic properties of this herb transform it into a powerful solution for various kidney disorders. Plantain helps soothe menstruation by slowing down the blood flow. As a styptic, you can use it topically to ease the bleeding from wounds. It is also beneficial for healing various types of skin disorders.
From the digestive issues to the skin disorders, menstruation troubles to arthritis, plantain is a one-stop solution for various troubles affecting the humans. Include it in your diet as a salad leaf or chew it to quench your thirst.This versatile herb is sure to bestow you with goodness throughout your life.
– Project.Nsearch: Most Useful Medicines on the Planet
– Wikipedia: Plantago Major
– Prescription for Herbal Healing: 2nd Edition – Phyllis A. Balch, CNC
– Hygieia: A Woman’s Herbal – Jeannine Parvati
– Healing Secrets of the Native Americans – Porter Shimer
– The New Age Herbalist – Richard Mabey
Are you on Aweditoria? Aweditoria is a new social media platform where people share small stories and ideas based on interests. Focusing on, personal development, health, politics, science, technology and etc. No distractions, just pure knowledge, it is free to use and it only takes few seconds to join, click here. You can follow Myscienceacademy.org there as well.
Brian “Pixel-Pusha” Pollett is a San Francisco-based graphic designer who recently decided to embark on a (rather dangerous) journey where he would take a new psychoactive substance every day for 20 days and illustrate the effects along the way. Please do not try this at home. While dabbling with dangerous prescription medicines, household drugs like alcohol, and research chemicals, Pollett balances these experiences with plant medicines. The results are informative to say the least.
“Imagine the past, future, and linear time are gone,” Pollett tells A+. “You can just focus on your existence in the present. The idea of tomorrow is laughable. I can create art without concern of outsider judgment, without over analyzing my process, and intuitively enjoy creating the most honest work.”
Day 1 — Butylone
Day 2 — G.H.B.
Day 3 — Codeine
Day 4 — T.H.C.
Day 5 — Alcohol
Day 6 — Nitrous
Day 7 — Cocaine
Day 8 — Psilocybin
Day 9 — 4-HO-MIPT
Day 10 — Poppers
Day 11 — DMT
Day 12 — Ether
Day 13 — 25I
Day 14 — MXE
Day 15 — MDMA
Day 16 — Amphetamine
Day 17 — Mescaline
Day 18 — Ketamine
Day 19 — LSD
Day 20 — Love
Do you like to read about science, technology, psychology, personal development or health? There is a new social network called Aweditoria that is purely based on interests. You can follow topics there and see the best small stories, ideas and concepts in those fields. Click here to try it out, it’s free and only takes few seconds to join. You can also follow Myscienceacademy.org on Aweditoria!
Life on Earth doesn’t cease to amaze us with the diversity of its species. Some are familiar to everyone while some others are unusual and not well-known; some are cute, others are ugly.
There also are some strange animals on this planet that you probably have never heard of. Let’s take a look at some of them.
1. Pink Fairy Armadillo
This cute little creature is the smallest species of armadillo known. The fairy can be found in Central Argentina amongst the sandy plains, which is handy as they are excellent at digging. The pink fairy lives a solitary life, only coming above ground at night to eat. The pink fairy armadillos have been listed as threatened since 1970.
2. Yeti Crab
The Yeti Crab is white and blind and lives near the thermal vents in the ocean off Antartica. It can range in size, from 15cm to 0.5cm. Due to the location of where the crabs were found, they only have a tiny space in which to survive. If they get too close to the vent, they burn and if they move too far away, they freeze. The crabs tend to sit on top of one another, as space is limited. These crabs farm their own food, which comes off their hair on their body.
3. Snub-Nosed Monkey
Their name comes from, as you imagine, their stump shaped nose on their round face. They live in Asia, across China, Tibet, Vietnam and Myanmar. They live in forests in large groups, up to 600. The groups normally contain more males than females and are very territorial. They eat bamboo buds, fruits and leaves. The female initiates mating and gestation is 200 days.
4. Southern Right Whale Dolphin
These dolphins do not have a dorsal fin and are found in the Southern hemisphere. They are a social species and travel in pods of up to 100 dolphins. The females are slightly bigger than the males and they are a fast swimmer. They do face threats from both killer whales and local sharks.
5. Sunda Colugo
This animal is also known as the flying lemur, but it doesn’t actually fly. It glides and leaps amongst trees. It feeds on soft plants and is only active at night. The Sunda Colugo has a 60 day gestation period and carries its young in the mothers abdomen. It is forest dependent and is under protection as it is also at risk from hunting.
6. Tufted Deer
The tufted deer is identifiable by a tuft of black hair on its forehead. It’s found in China, Myanmar and more recently in Afghanistan. The deer is a solitary creature, but sometimes in pairs. It is overhunted, but it is not considered to be threatened or endangered.
The Lamprey is a jawless fish. The adult Lamprey resembles an eel as it has no scales, it has large eyes, a single nostril on its head and seven-gill pores on each side of its head. They mostly live in coastal and freshwater and some can be found in land-locked lakes. The larvae have a low tolerance for high water temperatures, which is why it is not found in the tropics.
8. Star-nosed Mole
This little mole is found in wet areas in Canada and Northeastern USA. It is very easily identifiable by its twenty-two pink appendages around its snout, which act as sensory receptors. They use these to identify food by touch, such as worms, insects and crustaceans.
Do you know any other strange animals that are not on this list?